Friday, December 09, 2005

My Unfortunate Incarceration

Back in the late 80's/early 90's, there was a television show called Designing Women. One of the characters, Anthony, occasionally referred to his "unfortunate incarceration" when speaking of the time he had spent in jail.

I was recently hospitalized for four days. I will heretofore refer to that as my "unfortunate incarceration." I may blog more about it in the future after I get over the initial posttraumatic stress induced by the experience. In the interim, I will report this:

Believe it or not, during the "unfortunate incarceration," the thing that was most soothing was having the old man read to me. Having him read was better than television--no commercial breaks and no missing important dialogue when a nurse or doctor came by. If I closed my eyes, I didn't miss anything. I could have him back up. I could have him jump ahead. I could ask him to speed up or slow down. I may start calling him TIVO.

We actually read (or he actually read and I listened to) a whole book. It is one I would recommend, a very quick read with lots of food for thought. It is called The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank goodness he used the fee he earned from the back-up gig with Dolly to pay for that adult literacy course or you might have had an even more unfortunate incarceration.

Pammy J said...

Hello? L-Po? Are you still with us? It's been a while... is everything ok? Or are you just super busy? Missing your musings,
Pammy J.