Thursday, July 21, 2005

David Sedaris

I remember the first time I became aware of David Sedaris. He was a guest on David Letterman. His segment ended with a reading from his most recent (at that time) book of essays Me Talk Pretty One Day. He was hilarious.

I bought his most recent book of essays Dress Your Family In Corduroy and Denim and I often hear him on NPR's "This American Life." I like to listen to him read, and I like what he reads, and I like what he writes.

Last night, I heard him again. He was talking about his mother's aversion to having her picture taken and how he had so few photos of her. It reminded of the moment it dawned on me that I was robbing my family--my son and my husband--by not having a family picture taken. I remembered the moment that I realized it was important to them to have a record of us. I knew that there would be a day that my son would want to remember when it was just the three of us and that it was selfish to let my aversion to film stand in the way of that.

So, we had a family picture taken. When I look at it, I don't look at me. I already know I don't like what I see there. Instead I look at the cute little boy and the handsome man, who are my family.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

And I look at the lovely woman I love.