Monday, July 18, 2005

Et Cetera, Et Cetera, Et Cetera

There is a scene in The King And I where the King learns what the term "et cetera" means and begins using it liberally whenever an opportunity arises (or he thinks an opportunity has arisen). I like that scene. I can picture Yul Brynner now and hear him pronouncing "Et cetera, et cetera, et cetera."

It's a good phrase. Very handy. I like that it has a nickname--etc.

If I were queen of the world (instead of Oprah), one of my rules would be:

Don't screw with the classics.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Unfortunately, it seems that many people feel almost compelled to do just that. I find it interesting that people who lack the talent to create art that has even a modest chance of earning the appellation classic, have no qualms about tinkering around with the classic work of others. Most often, I think the impoverished product speaks eloquently to the craft of the tinkerer.

Anonymous said...

i went to the library monday. tried to find a book, any book, by jean kerr. a play even. they hav screwed with my classics. they are all out of print, they are all warehoused.