Monday, August 01, 2005

The Two Boltons


Whenever I see a headline about President Bush and "Bolton," I always think Michael Bolton for some reason.

There's a split second of "Bush Stands His Ground On Michael Bolton???? Wow! He must be quite the diehard fan." Or, "Bush Appoints Michael Bolton As US Envoy To UN???? Is he like the American Bono or something?"

And then it dawns on me, "Oh, yeah, not Michael Bolton, John Bolton."

It strikes me as odd because I could not tell you even one song that Michael Bolton made famous--or John Bolton for that matter.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

From what you can gather from the music industry and political media, they both seem to be about equally esteemed. Too bad for Bolton, Michael that is, that there's no President of the United States of Music to give him a recess appointment. Especially sad given how well the term recess suits his career at this point. At least Ambassador Bolton is still getting plenty of copy space.

Pammy J said...

I, for one, found this particularly hilarious since my brain always refers back to the long-haired-singer-of-love-songs Bolton as well. I sit, waiting for the heartthrob of my youth to appear onscreen when, all of a sudden, my eyes are violated by this other monstrosity they call Bolton! (Who, in all honesty, NEEDS a haircut!) And while we're on the subject, does anyone else think that Michael's decision to whack all his hair off was the crux of his musical career? Seems as though as soon as "it" was gone, so was he. Go figure. Perhaps he wanted to answer his own melodious question: "How am I supposed to live without you?" Now we know. Life goes on.